Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:26:03 -0800
To: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>, List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 7:11 AM -0800 2/2/97, Eric Thomas wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:55:42 -0500 Brad Knowles <brad @
 his .
 com> said:

>>        Well,  we  already  allow  them 550  messages.  Since  we  limit
>>Internet mail to a maximum of 2MB (assuming you're sending attachments),
>>this means we allow each user up to ~1.6GB mailbox storage space
>
>I have no  problem with that, however  it would be really  nice if people
>were allowed to accumulate more mail as  long as the total did not exceed
>20M or whatever quota you felt  comfortable with.

Actually, I solved 99% of *this* problem for my AOL users simply by
making DIGEST the default for all of my busy lists. It cut my "mailbox
full" errors by a huge percentage (probably 80%), and I found out that
large percentage of my users loved digest mode, and didn't even realize
it existed, even though it's in the documentation...

In general, I'm finding that about 10-12% of my users switch to
individual messages. The rest stay in digest, either because they like
it or because they don't know there are alternatives because they
didn't read the instructions, but that latter group isn't complaining
about it, either...

And, frankly, DIGEST mode cuts down on my server load by a huge amount,
too, so I can serve a lot more mail to a lot more people with less
processing overhead.

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq @
 apple .