Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror from AOL)
From: jeffw @ smoe . org (Jeff Wasilko)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 18:57:59 -0500
To: chuqui @ plaidworks . com (Chuq Von Rospach)
Cc: EALLENSMITH @ ocelot . Rutgers . EDU (E. Allen Smith), brad @ his . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Chuq Von Rospach writes:
> email mailbacks of subscription confirmations -- you don't get
> subscribed until I get mail back saying you really wanted to. The
> spammers have made that one necessary. It *also* gives me an
> opportunity to force documentation into their faces before they go on
> the lists, so there's no way they can claim they never saw anything. If
> nothing else, this just gives me a firmer stance on being able to
> enforce things, so there's less argument about people being kicked off.

I implemented confirmations after one of my lists was abused
repeatedly as a weapon-of-mass-subscription.

I've found that it has the nice side effect of weeding out people
who can't follow instructions. Of the 106 people with pending
subscriptions, 25% are from AOL. And the majority of those are
older than 24 hours (pending confirmations are valid for 2
weeks).

-jeff