Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror from
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 20:53:42 -0500
To: "Merrill Cook" <mcook @ pcusa01 . ecunet . org>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 8:33 PM -0500 2/2/1997, Merrill Cook wrote:

>Just brainstorming here... but how about making them take an
>interactive test, like a driver's certification test?  Set it up
>so they can't send note 1 on the internet unless they can answer
>ten questions correctly about addressing, etiquette, Good Times,
>pyramid schemes, chain letters, unsolicited advertising, and
>unsubscribing from lists.

	Hmm.  I'm not sure that this specific example would work, but
there seems to be a useful idea here.  I'll forward a copy of this
note to myself at work, and pass it around there.

	However, taking off my AOL hat again, this doesn't solve the
larger problem -- what about other places (like WebTV, AT&T WorldNet,
etc...) that have similar problems, and what about educating the
general Internet community at large?  I mean, we've already got the
cream of the cream of the crop online now (only ~1% of the entire
world population, and even Mensa sets their bar at the 90th
percentile), and everything from here on out is downhill.

	How do we educate these vast, unwashed, masses and yet still keep
the thing useful and interesting enough for those 99th percentile of
us that are on the 'net?

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .