Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Is Bob Metcalfe right or wrong?
From: scs @ lokkur . dexter . mi . us (Steve Simmons)
Date: 3 Feb 1997 21:10:02 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Newsgroups: local.list-managers

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

>At 1:56 PM -0800 2/3/97, Subir Grewal wrote:
>>On 3 Feb 1997, Steve Simmons wrote:

>>:Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:
>>:Phone line economics are *really* odd.  For a nice overview, see if you
>>:can find `The Death of Distance' from a late-1995 issue of the Economist.

>Just for clarity. I did *not* say this. The attributions got munged somewhere.

I guess that Subir deleted one too few lines in editing his followup.
He was also correct -- the Economists excellent article on telephony
economics is still available at
	<http://www.economist.com/surveys/distance/index.html>
It's a must read to anyone who wants to think seriously about long-term
bandwidth costs, be they local or global.  Thanks for finding the ref.
--
  ``Truman Capote has made lying an art.  A minor art.''
	-- Gore Vidal, on Truman Capote