Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: AOL mailbox limit, hig volume lists in general
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb @ koobera . math . uic . edu>
Date: 4 Feb 1997 19:32:33 -0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> Yes, but by that time you've wasted a huge amount of resources in attempting
> to deliver those 2000 messages.

Mm-hm.

This, of course, is so much more important than the resources that you
put into millions of successful deliveries.

And, of course, mail is such a massive burden to begin with---it's
almost 5% of the Internet's traffic! (Yes, okay, the percentage is
decreasing, and it decreased more this year than it did last year, but
the _increase_ in the decrease has been _decreasing_! Aack! Run away!)

And, of course, mail messages have so little overhead. They're fed
through such a modern compression algorithm, and make such good use of
the 8 bits in a byte (``Really? I thought TCP only supported 7!''), and
have such a well-designed header format, not to mention bounce format.
There'd be no way for us to reduce mail volume.

And, of course, people are using the fastest possible mailers. We're
really up against a wall in MTA performance.

Inescapable conclusion: The Internet is about to be overloaded with
bounce messages.

We'd better start charging $1 per bounce message before it's too late.

---Dan
Put an end to unauthorized mail relaying. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror