Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Dave Barr <barr @ math . psu . edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 14:35:54 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <199702032050 .
 PAA24476 @
 www6 .
 clever .
 net>, "Dr. Manion" writes:
>You see, Brad wants everyone to come up with the solution to his/AOL
>problems.

I was nodding head in general agreement with what you are saying until
you spouted off this doozy.  This statement is totally unfair, and
contrary to both statments and actions made by AOL.

> But, that's what he gets paid for. To solve the problems.

I stopped counting the number of run-on sentences you made.  But
anyway, Brad, and AOL _does_ solve problems.  (obviously they do
since they're the only one with access to their source code).
Stop making statements like this which are obviously incorrect.

>It's not my job to solve the problem for him so he can collect a pay
>check.

It's not your job to whine, bitch, and moan, either.  You may be
entitled to it, but at least give AOL the benefit of the doubt.

>How would you feel if I came to you and said, "Chuq, my client needs a
>CGI program to do this and he's paying me $500/hr. to provide it to
>him. Would you mind doing it for free?"
>
>What would your response be?

That you're asking a stupid question which has absolutely no relevance
to the discussion here.  There is no client paying $500/hr.  There
is noone asking anyone to fix anything for free.  There's AOL, and
staff saying "hey, we don't have all the answers.  We don't even have
all the questions.  Here's a suggestion box."

>That's the response I am giving Brad. The one you feel is
>"rightious". You see, it's not my job to find his solutions.

So then don't give him any!  Just go away and don't give a damn about
AOL, or anyone who has to deal with AOL.  Some of us aren't so
self-important, and are willing to contribute to the greater good,
even if the greater good is AOL.  (and conversely AOL is willing
to contribute to the greater good, even if the greater good includes you)

--Dave