Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Internet Economics
From: tower @ prep . ai . mit . edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:54:09 -0500
To: tower @ gnu . ai . mit . edu

I sent this via Bcc: to list-managers @
 GreatCircle .
 COM because it's as
off-topic as many of the other recent messages.

I've seen some very under-informed statements about the Economics of
the Internet on this list.  There are some significant technical and
public policy issues about how the Internet should grow.  People on
this list could make a difference - if they are informed.  E.g.  To
bring high-speed internet connections into most American homes will
cost over a $ 100 billion - do we want the TelCos to do this?  Or
Cable?  Or Satellite?  E.g. do we want to guarantee Universal Access
to the Internet at low cost for all Americans, as we do now for
Telephones?

I recommend Hal Varian's WWW pages for those who would like to get
educated on these issues by getting solid facts.  Varian is an
Economist who among other things studies the Internet.

   http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~hal

   Economic FAQs About the Internet. Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason and Hal
   R. Varian. June 1995. Abstract: This is a set of Frequently Asked
   Questions (and...
   http://gopher.econ.lsa.umich.edu/FAQs/FAQsALL.html

best -len

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Password?????