Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Subir Grewal <subir @ crl . com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 05:41:18 -0800 (PST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Brad Knowles wrote:

:	If you want to try out for fifty free hours, you have to provide
:a credit-card number to sign on, period.  Whether during your free
:period or not, you simply don't get on unless you've got a credit
:card.  After you've been on the system for a while, we'll let you
:change your billing to direct from your checking account, but
:initially, it's credit card only.

AOL doesn't have any credit card info on me, I'm not very curious about
their service, so I never asked.  But I've been getting both CDs (better I
think because they aren't writeable) and disks mailed to me.  I'm
presuming the contact info is coming from the Whois database.  I don't
know whether those (unsolicited) disks/CDs when used provide you with a
fully functional account, but I think so.  I know other people who've been
getting them as well.

What might be workable, is AOL experimenting with a little gateway
that handles list unsubscription/subscription for its users.  A little
jiggling around with the mailer (or simply an extension/plug-in to it),
some idea of what list-software is used to manage the list, and voila
unsubscribe at the click of a button (or two, just to confirm).  Yes, we
may not be educating AOL users about how the Net "really works", but then
comfortable front-ends are valuable to many people, often those who don't
have an intrinsic curiousity towards these things and just want the job
done.  I have nothing against a comfy front-end, especially when this is
what AOL seems to be marketing, for most lists I don't think the ability
to understand, manipulate and use list software should be a barrier to
entering discussion.  This raises many issues of course, including some
that relate to list-manager's interaction with AOL.  Some of the problems
may cripple the idea, but I think it may be worth a try.  Or has this all
been done before?

hostmaster @
 trill-home .
 com  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
"These are DARK TIMES for all mankind's HIGHEST VALUES!"
"These are DARK TIMES for FREEDOM and PROSPERITY!"
"These are GREAT TIMES to put your money on BAD GUY to kick the CRAP
out of MEGATON MAN!"