Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: quota time limit?
From: jeffw @ smoe . org (Jeff Wasilko)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:21:10 -0500
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

Mike Nolan writes:
> Here's part of a recent bounce I received from a list subscriber:
>
> >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > Quota time limit for user jadee has expired.
> > 554 <jadee @
 j .
 imap .
 itd .
 umich .
 edu>... Service unavailable

> Anybody want to explain just what a quota time limit is?

Unix quotas are implemented as a soft quota and a hard quota. The
hard quota is generally larger than the soft quota.

While the user is over the soft limit, he can create files (up to
the hard limit). Once a user exceeds the soft quota, he has 1
week before the soft limits are treated as hard limits (and he
will be unable to create a file).

Jeff