Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large masses of users
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:32:27 -0700 (MST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> I've wasted a lot of time and resources on AOL subscribers which
> is why I was forced to finally ask AOL to take us off their
> directory. I am the first to admit that not all of them are like
> this. However, a majority of them who subscribe or attempt to
> subscribe to our lists, are. They account for 3% of subscription
> base, contribute less than 1% and are responsible for 90% of the
> problems.
>
> Now, my figures may differ from yours. I've had a few list owners
> tell me they never have any problems with AOL people. But, then
> again, their lists are for programmers, software developers, etc...
> These people, usually have more savvy than the "normal" AOL
> subscriber.

Leonard, your rants are getting tedious.

I run ten mailing lists.  All but one are devoted to various musical artists
and genres (lounge music, various techno and synthpop bands).  They aren't
technical lists by any stretch of the imagination.

I run into occasional "problem" users (the "GET ME OFF THIS DAMN LIST"
types).  In my experience, they don't come from AOL any more frequently than
they come from anywhere else.

If AOL subscribers are such a chore for you to deal with, deny AOL subscribers
access to your lists and get on with your life.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .

Indexed By Date Previous: quota time limit?