Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror from AOL)
From: james @ sagarmatha . com (James C. Armstrong)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:50:22 -0800 (PST)
To: jeffw @ smoe . org (Jeff Wasilko)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Jeff Wasilko is alleged to have written:
-> Merrill Cook writes:
-> > On a simpler level, how about: people send an unsubscribe message
-> > to the list address. It gets filtered and forwarded to the list
-> > owner, who unsubscribes them manually. The lesson? "To
-> > unsubscribe, you don't have to learn anything or RTFM; just reply
-> > to the list address, someone will take care of it." That's the
-> > message we give.
-> I very rarely unsub someone who sends a request to the list
-> address. I have a shell script that mails them some help text
-> along with the majoromo help file. It starts out like:
->
-> You submitted a subscribe or unsubscribe to the regular (posting)
-> address of a mailing list.
->
-> Please note that you should send your request to
-> <listname>-request @
 smoe .
 org or <listname>-digest-reqest @
 smoe .
 org
-> (i.e. jewel-request @
 smoe .
 org, jewel-digest-request @
 smoe .
 org,
-> basia-request @
 smoe .
 org or basia-digest-request @
 smoe .
 org).
->
-> I have attached the help file for majordomo.

I'm a wee bit more hostile.  Every week, I send out directions
for unsubscribing (with the follow-up set to majordomo @
 sagarmatha .
 com).

I abjectly refuse to unsubscribe folks who send to the list.  The
message sent out includes a comment that if you can't follow instructions,
you can be manually unsubscribed by sending a fee to me.

To date, no one has sent a fee.  Given the choice between learning how
to unsubscribe, and spending money, everyone has chosen to learn how
to unsubscribe.

--
James C. Armstrong, Jr.		| PG&E Sucks.
james @