Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large mass
From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH @ mbcl . rutgers . edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:24 EDT
To: brad @ his . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

From:	IN%"brad @
 his .
 com"  "Brad Knowles"  5-FEB-1997 00:31:13.98

>	However, I think most people who've been on this list for a while
>will remember the extreme vitriol that was levelled at AltaVista when
>they tried this kind of thing, and not much less was levelled at
>InReference (at least they set the default of "if you do nothing, we
>will not subscribe and archive your list", while AltaVista set the
>opposite default).

	Umm... IIRC, the offense against AltaVista et al was that
A: they were _archiving_ the list, not enabling more people to
read it and _respond_ to it real-time; and B. they were essentially
charging money (through advertisements) for a function other than
simply carrying the list in one way or another (nobody's mad at AOL
for charging money to deliver email to their subscribers, so far as
I know).

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror