Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: What mail software?
From: Paul Graham <pjg @ acsu . buffalo . EDU>
Date: 06 Feb 1997 21:49:37 -0500
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

you give the impression that you don't know what ``variable envelope reply
paths'' are.  the fact that a bounce gets back to qmail means the software
can determine the orginal destination.  i think that's the essence of
bounce processing.  this technique is sufficient powerful that it forms the
basis for what l-soft calls bounce-free processing in the current release
of listserv.  it's sufficiently useful that i'm surprised that everyone with
a non-trivial source of bounces doesn't insist that their mta support
it.

of course if the bounce is sent to originator or the the list then the mlm
won't get a chance to process it.

 celery .
 tssi .

--
 paul
    pjg(at)acsu.Buffalo.EDU |public keys at:
                            |     http://urth.acsu.Buffalo.EDU/~pjg/key.html
    if the above contains opinions they are mine unless marked otherwise.

From: Cindy Stanley <connect @ ecentral . com>
Next: Re: User Unknown/Fatal Error Problem
From: Paul Graham <pjg @ acsu . buffalo . EDU>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: What mail software?
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Next: Re: What mail software?
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb @ koobera . math . uic . edu>