Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Admin filter - Re: User Unknown/Fatal Error Problem
From: Alan <ashandrr @ tgn . net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 15:25:21 -0600
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:26 PM 2/5/97 -0800, Michael C. Berch wrote:

[...]

>(For those of you unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here, Majordomo
>has a feature intended to suppress all those "unsubscribe me" [etc.]
>messages sent to the list, by trapping anything that even vaguely looks
>like a list server request and holding it for manual approval by the
>list manager.)

 My administrivia filter adheres strictly to it's filters and
 although it catches 95 percent of Administrivia headed for the List,
 it hardly catches "vaguely looks like"s.  Examples:

 One subscriber spelled the *key* filter word "unsubscribe" as
 "unsubscribed".  The "d" on the end of the word defeated the filter
 and made it to the List.

 Another subscriber recently configured his unsubscription request
 similar to this:

 domain .
 net>]

 ...as you can see, the ascii characters were all combined into
 one el grande word, which was missed by the filters and was
 distributed.

 By no means am I complaining.  This is a wonderful feature for
 mailing lists and as I say catches around 95 percent of subscriber
 administration requests.

 I'm curious.  I have no experience managing anything other
 than the current Majordomo I use, but I was wondering if this
 feature was a part of LISTSERV?  Most of the Listserv Lists I
 have subscribed to in the past were full of administrivia posts
 by subscribers lost in the world of mailing lists.  Is an
 administrivia filter possible with LISTSERV?

Alan S. Harrell
ASHandRR @
 TGN .
 net

Indexed By Date Previous: Customers For You !!!