Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: What mail software?
From: Paul Graham <pjg @ acsu . buffalo . EDU>
Date: 08 Feb 1997 00:26:29 -0500
To: Manar Hussain <manar @ ivision . co . uk>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 ivision .
 co .
 uk> writes:

    MH> I don't want to get into which is actually better but I take
    MH> considerable exception to the notion that Exim is not even a
    MH> serious challenger to qmail

the first qualifier i used was *secure*.  exim, like sendmail, is a large
set-uid program.  someone (probably djb) looked at it and immediately found
a buffer overflow problem.  if i'm going to run insecure code i'll run
sendmail since it has the ``advantage'' of being under intense scrutiny by
what appears to be every vandal on the internet.

--
 paul
    pjg(at)acsu.Buffalo.EDU |public keys at:
                            |     http://urth.acsu.Buffalo.EDU/~pjg/key.html
    if the above contains opinions they are mine unless marked otherwise.

From: Nancy <nancy @ prolog . net>
Next: Home Based Business
From: frreedom @ bellatlantic . net
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: What mail software?
From: Manar Hussain <manar @ ivision . co . uk>
Next: Re: What mail software?
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb @ koobera . math . uic . edu>