Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Majordomo's No-No Words :-)
From: Cindy Stanley <connect @ ecentral . com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 12:48:48 -0700
To: mcb @ postmodern . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I wrote:

> > (Digressing here for a moment....Sometimes my email to this list goes right
> > through with no problem, and sometimes it takes 2 or more days to get posted.
> > I have no idea why this discrepancy occurs.

Our fearless leader, Michael Berch replied:

> I don't know for certain, but this is likely due to tripping Majordomo's
> administrivia filter,
(snip)
> (For those of you unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here, Majordomo
> has a feature intended to suppress all those "unsubscribe me" [etc.]
> messages sent to the list, by trapping anything that even vaguely looks
> like a list server request and holding it for manual approval by the
> list manager.)

Hmmm...I didn't *think* I included any forbidden words in those posts...  O well. :-)

While we're still (sort of) on this subject, may I ask a question?  I know that if
someone puts the no-no words (*subscribe*, *unsubscribe*, *help*, etc., sans
asteriks) in the subject line, the message will surely bounce to the list manager.
But, what about when these words are included in the body of the message?  It seems
to me that if any of these words are in the first couple of lines of body text, the
message will still bounce.  But, if the forbidden words are further down within the
post, it goes through to the list just fine.

I say all that to ask this: I'm assuming MajorD "scans" the beginning of the message
body text?

TIA,

Cindy
Unschooling List Mom
Aurora, Colorado
connect @
 ecentral .
 com
 _   _
  (*)____/|
  /       |   We do not see things as they are,
 /   |--\ |   we see things as we are.
(_)(_)  (_)                   - Talmudic Saying