Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: spams to list-managers?
From: Christopher Samuel <chris @ rivers . dra . hmg . gb>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:33:02 +0000
To: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

In message <2 .
 2 .
 32 .
 19970208191300 .
 009ed038 @
 pop .
 ma .
 ultranet .
 com>,
	Stan Ryckman <stanr @
 sunspot .
 tiac .
 net> writes:

> Spammers seem to be doing this somewhat more (omitting the "To:"
> header); however, since RFC 822 requires a To: field containing
> at least one address, it would seem reasonable to silently trash
> any posts lacking a To: header (no, don't bounce them--that would
> wake up the spammers!) sent to this (or any other) mailing list.

Unfortunately not, as RFC822 does not require a To: header. It says:

     A.3.1.  Minimum required

     Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT        Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT
     From:     Jones @
 Registry .
 Org   or   From:     Jones @
 Registry .
 Org
     Bcc:                                To:       Smith @
 Registry .
 Org

        Note that the "Bcc" field may be empty, while the  "To"  field
        is required to have at least one address.

--
 Christopher Samuel,    IT Vulnerabilities Group,    chris @
 rivers .