Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Headers vs. MIME vs. ? (was: MailList Specification...)
From: "Joshua D. Baer" <josh @ skyweyr . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:49:32 -0500
To: list-header @ arpp . carleton . ca
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com

At 03:11 PM -0500 2/18/97, Grant Neufeld wrote:

> But headers don't cause the problems for those clients that specialized
> MIME parts do. Headers also don't wind up as an unwanted clutter of
> separate files in download folders (which is what happens with some of the
> MIME enabled clients).

However, I'm leaning more and more toward body footers.  These have the
added advantage of being somewhere a clueless person has a slight chance of
seeing them.

> James Berriman wrote:
> > I suspect that the
> > most flexible long-term approach is a minimal set of standard list headers,
> > combined with a new MIME type.

Agreed.  And a body interpretation of the MIME data.

> List servers should be able to determine, on an individual basis, whether
> users accept certain mail features (MIME, UUencode, HQX encode, PGP MIME,
> etc.), and send mail with the best set of features for that user.

How would that be done?  Is there any way to get this info into the
messages sent out by clients, so that the listserver could determine this
automatically, _without_ the user having to set a bunch of configuration
options?

> Of course, that raises issues of no longer sending identical messages to
> all members of a list, costing more bandwidth.

And about 5 more configuration possibilities to confuse users, if it's not
done carefully.

~Josh

Joshua D. Baer

SkyList Mailing List Hosting Service