Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: MailList Specification Headers Proposal 0.0.9
From: "Joshua D. Baer" <josh @ skyweyr . com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:39:13 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 21:36:17 -0500 2/19/97, Ken Dykes wrote:

> for those thinking of replying to ALL addresses in this thread.
> dont bother unless you already subscribe to those lists.
>
> listmom specifically just bounced my reply since they are a 'closed' list.
>
> very friendly of them to let us be part of a 1-way conversation.
> such teasing i could do without.
>
> well, it wont end my world if they dont get my input.

Well, my world will. I'd very much like to see EVERYONE who wants to participate be able.

I'm attaching the help file as well, which you should have gotten when your message was rejected.

<cut here>

The ListMom-Talk discussion list is intended to serve as a resource for

individuals who operate listservers on all platforms. List ediquette,

comparisons of listserver software, problems with members of a list, and
listserver configuration are all appropriate topics. If you're new to the
list, consider sending a message to introduce yourself!

This list is rated PG-13.

LISTMOM DISCUSSION LIST HELP FILE

Please read the list guidelines (see below) before engaging in discussion.
In addition, familiarize yourself with how the list operates, especially if
you've never participated in an Internet email discussion group before.

It's a good idea to save this message somewhere so you know how to
unsubscribe.

When dealing with a listserver, there are two types of messages, namely,
COMMANDS and POSTS. Unlike traditional listservers which require the
use of numerous email addresses, we have simplified the process by
allowing for both both COMMANDS and POSTS to be sent to the same address.

COMMANDS

These e-mail messages are intended to cause some action to occur, such as
subscribing the FROM address to a mailing list. Commands are usually one or
two word phrases which should be entered in the SUBJECT field of the message.
Any other fields are ignored... it doesn't matter what you put in them.

The following commands are accepted:

subscribe
adds your e-mail address to the list of subscribers
you will then receive all posts
you are then allowed to post from that address

unsubscribe
removes your e-mail address from the list of subscribers
you will no longer receive any posts
you are no longer allowed to post

subscribe digest
switches you to digest mode
you will then receive one message per day which lists all posts
to switch back, send a "subscribe" command

digests
returns a list of digests for the past 30 days along with
instructions for retreiving them via e-mail

help
this message will be returned

POSTS

Email messages which don't match any commands are distributed to everyone on
the list.

Every time you post a message, hundreds of other people on the list receive a
copy, just as if you sent it to them personally. As a member of the list, you
will receive a copy of every message anyone else sends. On this list, only
members of the list can post to it.

WEB PAGE

You can use our simplified web interface to perform all of these commands and
more. Point your web browser at <A
HREF=http://cgi.skyweyr.com/ListMom.Home>The ListMom Home Page</A>

To correspond directly with a person, write to <A
HREF=mailto:listmaster @ skyweyr . com>The Listmaster</A>

Follow-Ups:
  • listmom?