Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Vexing listserv problem
From: "Gess Shankar" <gess @ earthchannel . com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:27:16 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <gess @ ec2 . earthchannel . com>

Help.

I am periodically getting this junk to my mailing list manager.
Apparently my list server is an unwitting member of this "listinfo" list. It seems to me
as if this listinfo alias is sending LISTSERV command to Brown.edu and the
resulting message is being broadcast by listinfo to its members. Now
my mail-server in turn generates an error message and this goes on and on.
I have now killed all mail from vmei.acad.bg

According to the error message, the message was being redirected to listserver,
which turns around and sends the error messages to list members. I guarantee
that my mail server did not subscribe to this mysterious list.

Anyone know what is going on? How about more information on:
 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:24:55 -0500
From: "L-Soft list server at Brown University (1.8b)"              <LISTSERV @
 BROWNVM .
 brown .
 edu>
To: Multiple recipients of <listinfo @
 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg>
Subject: Output of your job "listinfo"

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg because
Unknown command - "YOUR". Try HELP.

> it seemed to contain listserver commands and not a real message.
Unknown command - "IT". Try HELP.

> If this was not your intention and it really was a message please change the
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> first word of the subject and/or body so that it does not look like a command
Unknown command - "FIRST". Try HELP.

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg .

Unknown command - "AND". Try HELP.

> If you are not sure what words are commands you can get a list of the commands
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> that this listserver accepts by sending a message with "HELP" in the body of a
Unknown command - "THAT". Try HELP.

> message to listserver @
 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg .

Unknown command - "MESSAGE". Try HELP.

> If you still have troubles you can contact a non-silicon based life form at .
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> Thank you.
You're welcome!

Unknown command - "--------------------". Try HELP.

All subsequent commands have been flushed.

Summary of resource utilization
 CPU time:        0.031 sec                Device I/O:        0
 Overhead CPU:    0.022 sec                Paging I/O:        1
 CPU model:        9121                    DASD model:     3390

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: another web CONVENIENCE freely provided for me - NOT!!!