Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Vexing listserv problem
From: "Gess Shankar" <gess @ earthchannel . com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:41:18 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <gess @ ec2 . earthchannel . com>

On 21 Feb 97 at 18:27, Gess Shankar wrote:

> I am periodically getting this junk to my mailing list manager.
> Apparently my list server is an unwitting member of this "listinfo" list. It seems to me
> as if this listinfo alias is sending LISTSERV command to Brown.edu and the
> resulting message is being broadcast by listinfo to its members. Now
> my mail-server in turn generates an error message and this goes on and on.
> I have now killed all mail from vmei.acad.bg

Good thing too. Because I am getting a deluge of this mail from
mostly LSoft LISTSERVs. Another example is appended below. It seems
the listinfo guy is creating a mail loop by sending requests from
list of listservs and then routing the replies to the same list of
listservs. I don't know if this is maliciousness or merely
cluelessness.

Gess

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:16:34 -0500
From: "L-Soft list server at Syracuse University (1.8c)"
<LISTSERV @
 LISTSERV .
 SYR .

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg>
Subject: Output of your job "listinfo"

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg because
Unknown command - "YOUR". Try HELP.

> it seemed to contain listserver commands and not a real message.
Unknown command - "IT". Try HELP.

> If this was not your intention and it really was a message please change the
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> first word of the subject and/or body so that it does not look like a command
Unknown command - "FIRST". Try HELP.

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg .

Unknown command - "AND". Try HELP.

> If you are not sure what words are commands you can get a list of the commands
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> that this listserver accepts by sending a message with "HELP" in the body of a
Unknown command - "THAT". Try HELP.

> message to listserver @
 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg .

Unknown command - "MESSAGE". Try HELP.

> If you still have troubles you can contact a non-silicon based life form at .
Unknown command - "IF". Try HELP.

> Thank you.
You're welcome!

Unknown command - "--------------------". Try HELP.

All subsequent commands have been flushed.

Summary of resource utilization
 CPU time:        0.010 sec
 Overhead CPU:    0.000 sec
 CPU model:         150MHz Pentium (32M)