Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Vexing listserv problem
From: bruceb @ fatcity . com (Bruce Bergman)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:02:41 GMT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

-> If you are getting to some kind of LISTSERV address at your end, then
-> that address is a member of the list "listinfo" - which appears to be
-> a collection of various LISTSERVs which have Mac related topics.

I agree it appears to be listserv related, but my site doesn't have a
single Mac topic, so it sounds like some other criteria.  Literally, it
might simply be a collection of listserv-capable sites.  I dunno...

-> Somebody in Bulgaria is playing games, as mac.vmei.acad.bg is sending
-> this mail, but is refusing to accept mail. I have begun to deflect
-> the mail still coming to my server address back to
-> postmaster @
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg

Good idea -- I might do that too.  Like others, I've heard nothing from
the Postmaster, and my message was quite a bit more "serious" ;-) in
tone than ones I've seen posted here.

-> They are either trashing the mail, not bothering about it, or are
-> party to this game of never ending loop of listserv sending error
-> message to a list address whose members are the same listservs
-> sending the error message. Only way this is going to stop is if
-> listinfo stops bugging the LISTSERVs or the various LISTSERV admins
-> stop processing mail from listinfo @
 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg

One of the nice advantages of being the author of a MLM is that you can
modify it when this kind of thing happens.  I've now put in a fix that
allows the admin to specify certain addresses to deny access to the
listserv, and what to do with the result.  For example:

 mac .
 vmei .
 acad .
 bg       /dev/null

It sounds like others are doing the same thing, because the numbers are
dwindling here too.  Keep it up, folks.

I'd really like to hear from their Postmaster, as to what kind of
clueless person did this...  **sigh**

thanks,

bruce

Indexed By Date Previous: THE CURRENT LISETERV/MAJORDOMO MAIL LOOP SOLUTION