Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:17:35 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> It's *really* cut down my spam problems until I can get subscription
> confirmation finished. I *also* generate daily subscriber change
> reports, so I can quickly scan the new names every morning, and once I
> got my system in place, while the spammers are still at it, no spam
> account's made it onto one of my lists in three days (unless they're
> hiding well). Prior to that, ti was only a couple instead of (on bad
> days) a dozen or more.

The two most effective things I've done were close my lists to non-subscribers
(especially useful since one of my lists has a web archive site), and to
implement a three day waiting period for new subscribers before their posting
privileges are activated, a very trivial step with procmail/SmartList.

I've had almost no spam or hate mail (a problem perhaps more common in
my specialty, which is collegiate sports team fan lists) reach my
subscribers since the three day waiting period was implemented, the only
ones I can think of found a hole in my list security system, which I
plugged quickly.

Like Chuq, I also send myself a list of recent subscribers to see if I see
any trends or sites to worry about, although I haven't taken any action based
specifically on that yet.
--
Mike Nolan