Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: List-Managers-Digest V6 #75
From: Troy Craig <tc @ aa . net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 17:45:22 -0800
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

PLEASE CANCEL THIS SUBSCRIPTION.I AM CURRENTLY BOOGED DOWN WITH EMAIL.
THANKS.
TROY

List-Managers-Digest wrote:

> List-Managers-Digest       Friday, April 4 1997       Volume 06 : Number 075
>
> In this issue:
>
>         Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:01:16 -0800 (PST)
>         spammer
>         Cyberpromo e-mail headers
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the List-Managers
> or List-Managers-Digest mailing lists and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:38:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: Lou Katz <lou @
 metron .
 com>
> Subject: Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:01:16 -0800 (PST)
>
> A minor correction - by sending a lengthy message, I did not mean
> mailbombing at all. Rather, a treatise on why I was objecting to the
> particular piece of mail (included), and suggestions about how and why
> to cope with it. Some fine examples of this type of message have shown
> up on this list. I just wanted to indicate that a one-line message of
> complaint was not sufficient. A couple of screens of text plus the
> complete offending message strikes me as reasonable. It does take some
> care to make sure you don't complain to forged addresses, but the relays
> and the spam-havens should be notified.
>
> I believe that simply throwing away spam through filters will accomplish
> nothing besides keeping one's mailbox and the mailing lists you manage
> clear. In the meantime the bandwidth of the net is being choked by
> this unwanted traffic, and the 'cost' to the spammers and their allies
> is low. Silence on the part of upstream providers is acquiescence at best
> and encouragement at worst. If we can raise the cost of spamming we
> might reduce the volume.
>
> - -=[Lou]=-
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:55:17 +0000
> From: "Gary Klass" <gmklass @
 acadcomp .
 cmp .
 ilstu .
 edu>
> Subject: spammer
>
> I've received three of these, fortunately listproc 6.0 won't let them
> through.  I had thought that research @
 answerme .
  .
  .
  was one of the
> "black\remal mai" subscribers, but this is the only one to try posting to
> my list.
>
> Rejected message: sent to pos302-l @
 thor .
 cmp .
 ilstu .
 edu by
> DAEMON @
 ISP-AM .
 NET follows. Reason for rejection: suspicious address.
> - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> - ----- ------- Forwarded Message Follows ------- From:          Self
> <Single-user mode> To:            research @
 answerme .
 com Subject:
> p42qRsT9 text Cc:            rova @
 mail .
 idt .
 net Reply-to:      pop2.nai.net
> Date:          Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:36:48
>
>      ***A COMPANY THAT IS DEDICATED IN IMPROVING YOUR
>            HEALTH WHILE OFFERING YOU THE OPPORTUNITY FOR
>            IMPROVING YOUR WEALTH***
>
>      Dr. Earl Mindell, the world's undisputed best known nutritionist and
> author of his latest book "SECRET REMEDIES", provides the cutting edge
> treatments for common ailments that make use of vitamins, minerals, herbs,
> aminio acids and natuaral hormones.  These
> - --
> Gary Klass
> gmklass @
 ilstu .
 edu
> Department of Political Science
> Illinois State University
> Normal Illinois 61790-4699
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 23:48:19 -0800 (PST)
> From: Joe Smith <jms @
 tardis .
 Tymnet .

> Subject: Cyberpromo e-mail headers
>
> I got a bounce message from mail addressed to a person who had not worked
> here since 1991.  I had not seen this particular type of header from
> cyberpromo before.

 savetrees .
 com
> To: dreamfactory @
 ginette .
 com
> Subject: $FREEDOM$
> Date: today
> Comments: Authenticated sender is <ginette @
 savetrees .
 com>
>   ----- Message header ends -----
>
> Note the "Date:" and "X-" headers.
>         -Joe

> If you want to subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than the
> account the mail is coming from, such as a local redistribution list,
> then append that address to the command; for example, to subscribe
> "local-list-managers":
>
> subscribe list-managers-digest local-list-managers @
 your .
 domain .
 net

> A non-digest (direct mail) version of this list is also available; to
> subscribe to that instead, replace all instances of "list-managers-digest"
> in the commands above with "list-managers".
>
> Compressed back issues are available for anonymous FTP from
> FTP.GreatCircle.COM, in pub/list-managers/digest/vNN.nMMM.Z (where "NN"
> is the volume number, and "MMM" is the issue number).

Indexed By Date Previous: Cyberpromo e-mail headers