Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Questions
From: Chuck Foster <mail-list-managers @ elists . mail . pipex . net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:45:21 +0100 (BST)
To: Mary Morris <marym @ Finesse . COM>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Mary Morris wrote:
> I'm looking to acquire a version of sendmail that allows me
> to configure it to refuse email where the return address is
> a non-existant domain. Does such a beast exist? If so, how
> is it accomplished?

Any recent sendmail (certainly 8.0+) should be able to do this, if you use
a V2 or above configuration file.

The example below could be a different ruleset which you could call from
elsewhere. I also assume here that your general rules don't want a dot on
the end, but if they do simply add that on the end of the second line for
returning.

# This line makes the address canonical
R$+ @
 $+  $:$1 @
 $[$2$]

# If the address was valid, it has a dot on the end, so return without it
R$+ @
 $+ .
  $ @
 $1@$2

# Otherwise it couldn't be resolved, so bounce it.
R$+ @
 $+  $#error $: Erm, $2 is not a known domain

I'm not sure what happens if your sendmail cannot resolve the address at
that time - I would imagine it would bounce it. Use it at your own risk!

Hope that made some sense!
Best Wishes
Chuck