Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Prelude to spam attack?
From: Alexander Verbraeck <A . Verbraeck @ IS . TWI . TUDelft . NL>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:11:54 +0200 (MET DST)
To: jthomas @ sun . soci . niu . edu
Cc: winfave @ duticai . twi . tudelft . nl, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> A user from @pop3.sushiking.com subbed to a number of listproc groups
> on our system in the past day or so, including a "non-existent" group.
> The groups are sufficiently diverse in topic and audience that the
> odds of this being a legit sub are virtually nil.
>
> A letter of inquiry went unanswered, but more subs arrived.
> Has anybody else experienced this?

Same here. The user subscribed to every single group we have. As far as
I can see from a port 25 session, the system is full time busy with mail
processing, and does not know it has users anymore. I unsubbed the user
from all groups, and put the domain in the .ignored file.

Kind regards,
Alexander Verbraeck
List Manager BPR-L, DYNMOD-L

Dr. Alexander Verbraeck            Delft University of Technology
Department of Systems Engineering, Policy Analysis and Management
Jaffalaan 5        P.O. Box 5015, 2600 GA  Delft  The Netherlands
Tel: +31 15 2783805    Secr: +31 15 2788380   Fax: +31 15 2783429
e-mail: A .
 Verbraeck @
 sepa .
 tudelft .
 nl  List manager BPR-L, DYNMOD-L
http://www.sepa.tudelft.nl/~alexandv/    See also ..../bpr-l.html

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL & compuserve problems.