Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:15:13 -0400
To: Alexander Verbraeck <A . Verbraeck @ IS . TWI . TUDelft . NL>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com, list-abuse @ clio . lyris . net

** Sometime around 20:55 +0200 4/13/97, Alexander Verbraeck sent everyone:

>Here's my current list. It contains everything I got after the second or
>third day or so; after the filters took hold. The number in front tells
>how many e-mails I got for those users.
::snip::

Awesome. Thanks, Alexander.

>> However, a *minor* pattern has become evident, and has allowed me to
>> write an effective filter to catch many of the illicit subs: apparently,
>> a good portion of these attacks are directed against Italian addresses.
>> Filtering on the subject of the "Welcome" message (on which I'm CCed)
>> *and* ".ir\r\r" (i.e., ".ir<cr><cr>") in the body of the message has
>> enabled me to trap the Italian addresses on ListProc.
>
>Beware: .ir is IRAN, .it is ITALY.

<idiot tag>
I *know* that I originally typed ".it"; the modem switched it on me, I think.
*sigh* (Thanks for catching that.)
</idiot>

>For European users this would be tedious;
>on one of my lists I have 34 users from Italy, who regularly post.

Oh, I'm just catching the subscribes. In my case, posts come only from me.

- Vince S.
  wavelet @
 colossus .
 arl .