Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Domain name problems
From: lewis @ ens . ascom . ch (Mark Lewis - Ascom PSD Cardiff UK)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:38:32 +0100
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hi

We have recently upgraded from majordomo-1.93 to majordomo-1.94.
At the same time we changed os from SunOS 4.1.3_U1 to Solaris
2.5.1.  We are now having problems with the address that is used
for our mailing lists inside messages distributed from them.

Previously (version 1.93) messages would have contained an
address like:-

mailing_list_name @
 ens .
 ascom .
 ch

where ens.ascom.ch is our domain name.

Since the change we see :-

mailing_list_name @
 stva95

where stva95 is a server in the ens.ascom.ch domain. No domain
address is added to the server name.

If I receive mail from our mailing server at my home e-mail
account I see :-

mailing_list_name @
 stva95 .
 my_home_isp_address .
 co .
 uk

The value of the whereami for version 1.93 was :-

# $whereami -- What machine am I running on?
$whereami = "stva99";

For version 1.94 it is (we have changed server)

# $whereami -- What machine am I running on?
$whereami = "stva95";

Is this a majordomo configuration problem or a Unix problem?

Many thanks

Mark

| Mark Lewis                     | Phone: +44-1222-774501          |
| Ascom Telecommunications Ltd   | Fax:   +44-1222-774500          |
| Cypress Drive                  | Email: lewis @
 ens .
 ascom .
 ch       |
| Cardiff, CF3 0EG, UK           | http://www.ascom.ch/            |

Indexed By Date Previous: [NDEL] 554 No From field given