Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Picking up the pieces
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:59:52 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> From: "John M. Wobus" <jmwobus @
 MailBox .
 Syr .

> Any opinions on the policy of carrying out sign-off requests that
> are sent to mailing lists?

It sort of depends on how big and active your list is, but for the most part
when unwilling or clueless people get on my lists and want off I do what I
can to get them off quickly.  Here's why:

First, consider the victim's plight.  If you were subscribed to 100 lists
(or more) without your consent, and were being deluged with mail as a result,
how easy would it be to pick out the proper instructions from each and send
a correctly coded message?  (Not all lists use the same list management
tool, resulting in at least three variants on the proper procedure and a
'reply' to the list generally doesn't get to the administrative address.)

Then consider your other subscribers, who aren't there to receive
administrative e-mail, especially ones that are written in anger or laced
with unnecessary vulgarities.

Subscription confirmation protocols will help reduce the problem, but until we
can all convert to them I think we just have to do what's expedient.
--
Mike Nolan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Picking up the pieces