Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Dealing with problem subscribers
From: ANDPPH @ ritvax . isc . rit . edu
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:24:29 -0500 (EST)
To: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com, ANDPPH @ ritvax . isc . rit . edu

Before getting to the subject ... what constitutes an "active" list and a
not-so-active one? I wonder where 1,000 members and 50-100 postings per day
stands in the "hierarchy"?

As for the actual topic, I use a CREN program (listproc?) (we call it listserv
here) ... anyway, a couple of not truly abusive but marginally obnoxious people
are monopolizing my list. I have asked them politely to please use some
sensibility and tact when posting messages and although I get assurnaces of
such they reply to many postings with one liners, add a "dig" at the end of
their messages, etc. The bottom line is that I think people who could
contribute a great deal are getting frustrated and leaving the list.

I am trying to figure out what to do. I could just say to myself that they are
not worth spending time over and just sign them off and block their access to
the list ... but some would construe this as unjust, etc., etc.

I have been thinking of making the list moderated (at whatver risks that
might entail) maybe for a period of time and that way I'd have a
semi-justifiable means for stopping "upsetting-for-no-good-reason" (of course
_in my view_ ... actinge essentially as a censor) postings.

Can someone provide me with some advice?

thanks much,  andy

Andrew Davidhazy, andpph @
 rit .
 edu - for PhotoForum on the Internet