Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Dealing with problem subscribers
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:41:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Vince Sabio wrote:

> ... I do not believe in people's "rights" to access/use resources for
> which thay are not paying. If they are being obnoxious, warn them to cut
> the crap or they're history. Second offenders go into the .ignore file.

I agree with Vince with regards to obnoxious subscribers.  It only takes a
few idiots to kill a good mailing list.  The listowner is providing the
facilities.  The listowner can establish the rules of the forum.

In most cases simple diplomacy will work with a problem subscribers.  If
diplomacy fails, show them the exit.  I've run several unmoderated lists
for over three years.  I have never booted a subscriber for their
behaviour on the list.  On the other hand, if they didn't take the hint, I
would use the .ignored file and or kill their subscription.

Writing a list charter (welcome file) which defines the purpose of the
list and describes acceptable use is the first step.  It takes more than a
a name to define a mailing list.  Decide what is appropriate for your
list.  Write it down.  Post the charter.  Ask for comments on the charter.
When you have the charter defined, enforce it as need be.  If you have
some subscribers who prefer anything-goes forums, let them tough it out on
Usenet.

- murr -