Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: CyberPromo
From: "John Buckman" <jbuckman @ shelby . com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:29:17 +7
To: "Nathan J. Mehl" <nmehl @ leftbank . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <jbuckman @ synergy>

> Cyberpromo does _not_ honor remove requests.  Full stop.  They don't read
> them, they don't act on them, they have no means of tracking, executing,
> filing or verifying them.
>
> They are _lying_ when they say they will remove you from their lists on
> request.  I cannot put it any more plainly than that.

Agreed, that has been our experience also.  Also, be careful when identifying
yourself to spammers by telephone.  It's fairly common for them to retaliate.
One person here talked to someone at CyberPromo who said she would be
removed. She wasn't, and spam to her seemed to get considerably worse after
the call.  They've started using a "web spider" to pick email addresses off
her home page.

On the bright side: I've been told that CyberPromo has a "manifesto" of
sorts in the message headers of their spam, and you can use this to
auto-filter things from them.

John

John Buckman <jbuckman @
 shelby .