Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: RE: TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query
From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 07:22:15 PDT
To: awest @ webster . m-w . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

> From:	MX%"awest @
 webster .
 m-w .
 com"  "Amy West" 19-APR-1997 07:13:54.53
> Subj:	TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query

> On the assumption that one of you out there also happens
> to be a mail admin at a site that uses cc:Mail.
>
> Our webmistress recently got mail from a user who claimed
> that he couldn't send us a form on our Web page because it
> uses a mailto: and he uses cc:Mail that isn't set up to
> use POP/SMTP servers, and therefore the mailto: won't work.
>
> Is this so?
>
> ---Amy West
> Mail Admin
> Merriam-Webster Inc.

Amy,

	At the risk of fanning the flames, I can't say whether this is
so or not, but I would not be surprised if this were true.  At least one
bureau within the Department of Interior uses cc:mail, and they have had
a legion of problems.

	Now, ALL mail agents that interact with Internet SMTP mail have
to interact either directly or indirectly with an SMTP server or servers
somewhere along the line to pump mail to it's destination.  But, I
believe that cc:mail dumps it's mail into an internal queue, which
eventually makes it's way to the outside via a gateway.

	Now, a company called Innosoft provides a product called PMDF,
which runs on a variety of platforms.  They do have a cc:mail interface
for their LAN product.  You might check out their page:

		http://www.innosoft.com/

	to see if their gateway will do what you need done.  Best of
luck,

-HWM

Indexed By Date Previous: TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query