Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: RE: TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query
From: Bill . Houle @ SanDiegoCA . NCR . COM (Bill Houle)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 11:01:54 -0700
To: awest @ webster . m-w . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

} > From:	MX%"awest @
 webster .
 m-w .
 com"  "Amy West" 19-APR-1997 07:13:54.53
} > Subj:	TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query
}
} > On the assumption that one of you out there also happens
} > to be a mail admin at a site that uses cc:Mail.
} >
} > Our webmistress recently got mail from a user who claimed
} > that he couldn't send us a form on our Web page because it
} > uses a mailto: and he uses cc:Mail that isn't set up to
} > use POP/SMTP servers, and therefore the mailto: won't work.
} >
} > Is this so?

Assuming the mail system has some connectivity to the Internet,
if SMTP addressing is not supported directly there should be
a 'transformation' available to allows that address to be passed
via the SMTP gateway.

For instance, if I had Netscape use the MAPI interface to
MSMail 3.2 and clicked on a mailto link, MSMail would be
brought up as:
	To: user @
 some .
 dom .
 ain
However, this address as-is would not be recognized by MSMail.
To send it via the SMTP gateway, I would have to rewrite the
address slightly:
	To: [smtp:user @
 some .
 dom .
 ain]

It's been a while since I used cc:Mail, but I recall that a
similar rewrite transformation is used by their gateway. I would
expect that the user (or their mail admin) should know what that
format is.

--
Bill Houle                             Bill .
 Houle @

Indexed By Date Previous: RE: TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query