Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Dealing with problem subscribers
From: Marcy Kulic <mkulic @ snark . wizard . com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: ANDPPH @ ritvax . isc . rit . edu
Cc: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 ANDPPH @
 ritvax .
 isc .
 rit .
 edu wrote:

> I am trying to figure out what to do. I could just say to myself that they are
> not worth spending time over and just sign them off and block their access to
> the list ... but some would construe this as unjust, etc., etc.
>
> I have been thinking of making the list moderated (at whatver risks that
> might entail) maybe for a period of time and that way I'd have a
> semi-justifiable means for stopping "upsetting-for-no-good-reason" (of course
> _in my view_ ... actinge essentially as a censor) postings.

I just went through a similar situation on the list I run. Whenever I
emailed this particular bonehead he would send me back some incoherent
nonsense about freedom of speech and the first amendment. Since I fund the
list with both my time and $ I concluded that freedom of speech did not
apply and unsubscribed him. I also added filters to the list so that he
could not resubscribe, and so that his name could not be mentioned in
posts. The filters caught 2 people saying they thought unsubscribing him
was unfair, and one of those people unsubscribed over the issue. However I
received 47 private emails thanking me for the move. So, I say go for it.
You might lose a few soreheads, but most people will be thankful for it.

Marcy