Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: IGNORE (SORRY): Probably prelude to a spam: getting on "oknames" list
From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn @ idyllmtn . com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
To: tv @ pobox . com (Todd Vierling)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> : Insert foot in mouth. Sorry about that. After looking at the Majorodomo
> : log, I discovered that the person did a "lists" command and simply
> : subscribed to everything, including the "oknames" list which appeared on
> : the "lists" list.
> That was an accident on my part, and I'm doing a 'which' to see if you've
> removed me from any lists.  If so, I can take my knowlegde base elsewhere,
> thankyouverymuch.  Sending it to this list was rather nice of you, too.
> (Don't you probe accounts first?)

Why were you subscribing to every list at Paul's site?  Around
here (my server), that rates as "suspicious activity".  If I notice
someone subscribing to every list, I generally take that as a
prelude to spam and/or an attack of some sort.  (Or else it's
another damned archivist, and I shoot archivists on sight.)

--Kynn
  Idyllmtn/MLists