Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: CyberPromo
From: Wes Morgan <morgan @ engr . uky . edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:04:40 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 02:26 PM 4/21/97 -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Ken Kyler wrote:
>> I don't know if this will work or not, but I called CyberPromo
>> (800-650-9110) and requested that my domains be removed from their "lists."
>
>I find it hilarious that a spam outfit has a 1-800 number, and invite
>anyone with proper equipment to give them a taste of their own medicine in
>a medium they can understand.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Listen, folks, all of this spleen-venting "taste of their own medicine"
gets us nowhere.  The activities described are, in many jurisdictions,
plainly illegal, and are guaranteed to make the perpetrators (and, by
extension, those who recommend such things) look like juvenile delin-
quents.

AGIS, the provider to Cyberpromo, has allegedly suffered a breakin
to the router connecting Cyberpromo to the network; said alleged
breaking resulted in denial of service to not only Cyberpromo, but
also several/many other AGIS customers.  AGIS has reportedly brought
the matter to the attention of the FBI, and they have every right
to do so.  I wouldn't want to be one of those who has suggested such
things on public mailing lists; those people should be expecting to
hear from the Feds.

Given the alarming frequency of suggestions such as the one cited
above on various mailing lists, it's easy to paint our entire group
as complete rogues.  That does *not* help our work in any fashion.

For your own protection - and for those of us working with you - let's
all drop the talk of guerilla warfare.  It's wrong, it's illegal, and
it puts us at the level of Cyberpromo et al.

--Wes