Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: The chutzpah award
From: Ray Jones <rayjones @ praline . no . neosoft . com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:02:15 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Henry W. Miller wrote:

> 	My "favorite" one happened on one of my lists several months
> ago.  A list member sent a message to the entire list, basically saying:
> "Hey, I'm too lazy to go look up the instructions - would the list
> manager please remove me from this list..."  Sheesh!  This one had me
> beside myself for a few days...

I add a footer at the end of each message such as:

 foobar .
 com

So far, it seems to have worked.

What always "gets me" is the fools who manage to figure out how to
subscribe, but can't figure out how to unsubscribe. The worst two I ever
had were a phd in biomedicine and a guy working on his doctorate in
computer science.

Between the two of them, they sent several messages (all of them wrong)
first to the listserv (at that time rather than majordomo) address and
then to me.

They made just about every mistake that could be. They sent the messages
to the wrong address, spelled the list name and commands wrong and so on.
Yet they both had the unmitigated temerity to write multiple messages to
"the list" complaining that the listserv didn't work and so on.

I could have understood a little better if they both hadn't been so well
educated and one of them in computer science. It just confirms my opinion
of today's educational process. My wife taught English and literature at
the high school level and finally gave up after almost 30 years. The
students that come to her are passed along all making good grades when
most of them can barely read and write.

--
Regards,

Ray Jones
   Coming to New Orleans?  Contact "Big Ray the Buggy Driver"
                      Licensed Tour Guide

Historical Tours through the romantic French Quarter in New Orleans
 in a mule-drawn "vis-a-vis" carriage while enjoying its ambiance
  and hear about our history, sites of interest and way of life.

   Cellular Phone  504-884-9572  Digital Beeper 504-547-8032
            CURRENTLY ON SABBATTICAL AND NOT WORKING

ray .
 jones @
 mail .
 sstar .
 com         http://www.neosoft.com/~rayjones/welcome.html

             "Big Ray's" New Orleans Mailing List Instructions

 communique .
 net