Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Suggestion for MLM Developers
From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:37:37 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com

(Sorry about that first one ... I got called out to a meeting as I
started writing it up, and must have queued it instead of just saving
it. It's been a bad week for e-mail, and it's only Tuesday ...)

On one of the discussion lists that I recently inherited, someone contacted
me to ask whether it was possible to subscribe to DIGEST mode *immediately*
upon subscribing to the list (note that the list is on a ListServ, and
is configured for subscription confirmations).

The problem is this: The person sends in a subscribe request, and gets the
magic cookie message, which he then returns to the list server. At that
point, he is on the list -- but not prior. So he must *immediately* send
another message setting himself to DIGEST, preferably even before he
receives confirmation of his subscription.

A better idea would be if he could issue something like this:

subscribe listname myname
set listname digest

... in the same message, and have the PENDING subscription set to DIGEST.
Then, when he returned the magic cookie, he'd be immediately subscribed
in DIGEST mode. Currently, issuing the above commands in the same message
will result in a "you are not subscribed to list 'listname' ..." message

I'm pretty sure that this is not an issue for Majordomo, since I believe
it uses separate lists for digest mode. And IIRC, it is not an issue for
Lyris, since it actually enters the subscription into the list, but places
it into a "pending confirmation" mode, while still allowing the would-be
subscriber to modify his subscription state. It *is* a problem with
ListServ, though, and possibly many others (I know that CREN will soon be
releasing the confirmations-capable version of ListProc), so I figured
that this would be an appropriate forum for the suggestion.

Hope this was clear. Not much else that I'm writing these days seems to

- Vince Sabio
  orionsoft @
 telephonet .
excess of 150,000 subscribers. For more information, send a blank email to
<smartbounce @
 bsabio .
 com> or visit <http://www.bsabio.com/SmartBounce/>.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Cyberpromo...