Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: TAN: cc:Mail and html mailto: query
From: Chris Pepper <pepper-list @ list . audubon . org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:13:10 -0400
To: awest @ webster . m-w . com (Amy West)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>Our webmistress recently got mail from a user who claimed
>that he couldn't send us a form on our Web page because it
>uses a mailto: and he uses cc:Mail that isn't set up to
>use POP/SMTP servers, and therefore the mailto: won't work.
>
>Is this so?

Amy,

	The real solution is to switch to POP/SMTP mail, of course. :)
While waiting for our local MIS people to make this move, we've confirmed
that Navigator can be configured to send mail through a normal SMTP host
(possibly the cc:Mail gateway cc:Mail uses to send/receive mail to/from the
Internet). Navigator can be configured to send through SMTP host S, not
receive (no host in the POP field), and provide a From: line of
user @
 ccmail .
 com -- in other words, there's no connection between the SMTP
host you deliver your mail to and the address which shows up on the message.

	Isn't 'forgery' fun?

						Chris