Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: SparkNET - List Central - what's up.
From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:26:48 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

murr rhame:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Christopher Knight wrote:
> > We are developing a complex and huge database of all lists on the
> > internet...starting with all Majordomo lists.

Hope you allow listowners a way to opt out of this if they desire.

>I do know
> that there are at least two large lists of mailing lists available on the
> Web.

Let's not forget Tile.

> Stephanie da Silva has been compiling her list of lists for years.
> http://www.neosoft.com/internet/paml/
>
> There is a nice search engine on the Web at:
> http://www.liszt.com/

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I just convinced Peter to add
a search engine to the PAML.  Nifty thing, it's glimpse-based.

> Such data bases are two edged swords.  On the one hand, they make it
> easier for folks to find lists that they are interested in.  On the other
> hand, I suspect that most of the swine who forging subscriptions use the
> data from such lists.

Unfortunately, this is true.  I was just contacted by a listowner who
had a forge attack on his server which didn't succeed because it used
a typo that was in my database.

I've started getting requests from people not wanting to be listed now
because of spam and abuse and stuff.  Not very many, but I find it to be
a disturbing trend.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: SparkNET - List Central - what's up.