Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re:I think-this is.BIG secucrity HOLE
From: Bonnie Scott <bonnie @ staff . prodigy . com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:59:28 -0400
To: P Kayak <lev @ bloomington . in . us>
Cc: list-managers-outgoing @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:32 AM 4/23/97 -0500, P Kayak wrote:

>Isn't "moderated" a word without a single, strict definition?

In the context of Majordomo mailing lists, no, not really.  There is a
variable called "moderated" that you can set in the majordomo config file.

>From a majordomo list config file:

      # moderate           [bool] (no) <resend>
      # If yes, all postings to the list  must be approved by the moderator.
moderate          =  no

When it is set (when a list is "moderated"), all postings to the list must
be approved by a person with the moderator's password.  This definition is
pretty well understood, even outside of the majordomo realm.  The only other
context I've seen "moderation" used is when newsgroup content is going
through a semi-intelligent automated "scanner" that acts as a moderator and
approves postings if nothing objectionable is found.

Bonnie Scott
Prodigy Services Corp.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: SparkNET - List Central - what's up.