Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: SparkNET - List Central - what's up.
From: bh @ digital . net
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:59:34 GMT
To: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:26:48 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>murr rhame:
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Christopher Knight wrote:
>> > We are developing a complex and huge database of all lists on the
>> > internet...starting with all Majordomo lists.
>
>Hope you allow listowners a way to opt out of this if they desire.

Is there currently any standard for this along the lines of robot.txt for www?
If not, maybe we should think about trying to come up with one and then
convincing archiving programs to use it.  Something like if you have #No_archive
as the last line in an info line then that list is not to be put into any lists
like that or if you have it at the bottom of the lists output it means no lists
at you site are to be put on any lists.

Granted, a lot of people will not use it, but it would be nice to have something
like that and if we could get the bit search engines that go out looking for
mailing lists to archive to use it it would make them much less of a problem
since it would give list owners an automatic way to "op-out" of these automatic
robots that go looking for lists.

Brian