Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: SparkNET - List Central - what's up.
From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:30:01 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 17:17 -0005 4/23/97, James B. Byrne said:

>Perhaps this displays my profound ignorance but why don't the
>"list" indices only provide a  "contact" e-mail address
>rather than the list addresses.  Then the value of having the
>information readily accessible is maintained, but in a format only
>really of use to an individual seeking a list on a specific
>subject.

I actually keep pretty close tabs, whenever possible, on where requests
are coming in from. (This can only be done in a limited way, and primarily
for Web pages -- and also requires certain key parameters to be in effect
for it all to work. Nevertheless ...) I receive enough subscriptions every
day from Liszt alone that I'd probably withdraw my list from there if all
they provided was the contact address.

OTOH, it'd be a good idea for the search engines to allow the list owner to
provide whatever information he deems appropriate for his list. PAML does
this; it should probably be the rule instead of the exception.

Of course, that means more work for the site owners, and probably reduces
the overall utility of the site, which means fewer "impressions," which
means less money -- for more work. Hence the default.

- Vince S.
  wavelet @
 colossus .
 arl .