Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Suggestion for MLM Developers
From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:05:41 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

** Sometime around 10:31 -0400 4/23/97, Norm Aleks sent everyone:

>[Vince Sabio <wavelet @
 colossus .
 arl .
 mil>]
>> [Brian Crawford]
>> >I believe you can set DIGEST as a default option so all new
>> >subscriptions are DIGESTed.
>>
>> [...] it'd be nice to be able to subscribe and set DIGEST in one swell
>> foop.
>
>Just send the SET command along with the subscription confirmation.
>I.e. after "subscribe FOOBAR", reply to the confirmation request with
>	OK
>	SET FOOBAR DIGEST

The problem is that it requires TWO different approaches to subscribing
to mailing lists.

Approach #1 (for non-confirmed subscriptions):

subscribe mylist myname
set mylist digest

Approach #2 (for confirmed subscriptions):

subscribe mylist myname
set mylist digest

  (wait for magic cookie, *and* get confusing error message on "digest"
  command, saying that I'm not subscribed -- and yes, newbies DO find
  the "not subscribed" message to be confusing)

ok
set mylist digest

For newbies, this is simply too complex. All I'm suggesting is that MLMs
recognize and properly process Approach #1 in *BOTH* cases -- confirmed
subscriptions and unconfirmed subscriptions.

Lyris does this. It's not all that difficult to implement. And it makes
things MUCH easier for newbies. Is that too much to ask?

- Vince Sabio
  orionsoft @
 telephonet .
excess of 150,000 subscribers. For more information, send a blank email to
<smartbounce @
 bsabio .
 com> or visit <http://www.bsabio.com/SmartBounce/>.