Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: List Listings
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 02:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: cnorman @ shellx . best . com

   Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:30:01 -0400
   From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @
 colossus .
 arl .
 mil>

   ** Sometime around 17:17 -0005 4/23/97, James B. Byrne said:

   >Perhaps this displays my profound ignorance but why don't the
   >"list" indices only provide a  "contact" e-mail address
   >rather than the list addresses.  Then the value of having the
   >information readily accessible is maintained, but in a format only
   >really of use to an individual seeking a list on a specific
   >subject.

I prefer this too, but each list manager should be able to specify.

My first choice is a link to my webpage.  Then I get to control (and
update) the info given and the user gets a full description of the list
plus a full set of subscription instructions (best.com lists must use
"Bestserv" software and it's not like anything else).  Of course, this
option only works for lists of lists on webpages.

My next choice is a brief description of how to use the server software
(with server address) plus a contact address for questions.

If someone gives out the list address as a web link, I ask them to change
it.  I don't mind it when it's part of a full listing for my list.  Though
now I have subscribers-only posting set so it doesn't matter :).

I also don't want a contact address only listing because then I get tons of
"how do I subscribe?" letters.

Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)                   cnorman @
 best .
 com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Updated list of forged addresses