Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: List Listings
From: Mike Nolan <nolan @ celery . tssi . com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:06:27 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

Cyndi Norman <cnorman @
 best .
 com> wrote:

> I also don't want a contact address only listing because then I get tons of
> "how do I subscribe?" letters.

So set up a special address for handling these.  I have set up
listinfo @
 tssi .
 com to handle these.  Mail to this address is run through
a short sed filter that turns it into a 'help' request and passes it on to
my list software (SmartList).  This sends a description of the lists offered
here, including digest and 'news-only' variations, and complete subscription
instructions.

This also has the advantage that I can just 'bounce' requests that do come to
my personal address to that address using elm.  (This may be somewhat off
the subject, but do any mail agents besides elm support a 'bounce'?)

I also have a small perl program that transforms e-mail to unlfaq @
 tssi .
 com
or nwufaq @
 tssi .
 com into an archive server request for the appropriate FAQ and
list guidelines documents.
--
Mike Nolan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Suggestion for MLM Developers