Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re: Suggestion for MLM Developers
From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:06:54 -0400
To: "ListMom-Talk Discussion List" <listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 10:10 +0200 4/24/97, Eric Thomas sent everyone:

>There are  two ways you  can join a list  in DIGEST mode  atomically with
>LISTSERV. The first is to use the SUBSCRIBE WITH command:
>
>                       SUBSCRIBE XYZ-L WITH DIGEST
>
>This function  combines SUBSCRIBE  and SET  in a  single command.  It was
::snip::

Yes yes yes yes YES! *BINGO*! That works very nicely. I'd still like to see
sequential commands supported, just for backward compatibility, but this
option certainly answers the mail.

>   OK BEGIN
>   SUBSCRIBE XYZ-L
>   SET XYZ-L DIGEST
>   OK END
::snip::

Good for power users; newbies will screw it up and come complaining. I'll
take "SUBSCRIBE XYZ WITH DIGEST" for $500, Alex ...

>Both features  are new  in 1.8d,  if your host  site is  one of  the beta
>testers they can get a build with this functionality.

Probably not, but I'll wait patiently. Hopefully, other developers will
follow suit on this type of functionality ... (excluding those who've
already done it, of course)

- Vince Sabio
  orionsoft @
 telephonet .
excess of 150,000 subscribers. For more information, send a blank email to
<smartbounce @
 bsabio .
 com> or visit <http://www.bsabio.com/SmartBounce/>.
--