Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1997)

Subject: Re The "Duh!" Awards
From: "Matthew N. Kleiman" <mkleiman @ interaccess . com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:11:43 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @
 sacto .
 mp .
 usbr .
 gov>
>Subject: The "Duh!" Awards
>It's time for a new class, the "Duh" Award.  I bring this up
>because it has happened to me twice in the past week and a half.
[...]
>I explain
>that they are not subscribed at that address.  "But", they complain, "I
>am a subscriber to the list!  At foo.org"...

Actually, I don't think this is such a stupid mistake for a list subscriber
to make.  I'm not criticizing Mr. Miller, but I often catch myself
expecting -- unrealistically -- that my subscribers have the same level of
computer knowledge as myself.  Of course its frustrating to have to address
these problems again and again, but depending on the target audience of
your list, it may very well be "part of the job" of being list admin.

If the gaff Mr. Miller describes qualifies for a "Duh!" Award, then I've
got a list half-full of future recipients.  Of course, if I didn't have
them, I'd be missing some of the most knowledgable, helpful, and
entertaining people on my list.  Food for thought...

- Matt

Matthew N. Kleiman  * Chicago * Illinois *  mailto:mkleiman @
 interaccess .
 com
Administrator * Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List * berner-l @
 prairienet .
 org
Berner Home Page  *   http://homepage.interaccess.com/~mkleiman/berner.html

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: The "Duh!" Awards