Subject: Re: Need Sendmail Assistance
From: Vince Sabio <wavelet @ colossus . arl . mil>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:37:25 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List-Managers List), listmom-talk @ skyweyr . com

** Sometime around 10:03 -0600 5/2/97, Lawrence Chen sent everyone:

>> At 4:20 PM -0700 5/1/97, Vince Sabio wrote:
>> >That's where *you* (yes, YOU) come in. If you're a sendmail hound with
>> >lots of patience *and* the ability to read RFC822 mail typed with a
>> >modest Indian accent, please respond to me directly so I can put you in
>> >touch with him. He really seems interested in atoning for his sins -- or
>> >at least fixing his mistake.
>>
>If he's running Sendmail 8.8.x is easy to turn this behaviour on...but its
>off by default....
>
>From the manual:
>
>UseErrorsTo
>
>If there is an "Errors-To:" header, send error messages to the address listed
>there.  They normally go to the envelope sender.  Use of this option causes
>sendmail to violate RFC 1123.  The option is disrecommended and deprecated.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ya gotta love a manual with a sense of humor.

However, using "Errors-To" would not have solved his problem, since not all
MLMs use that header entry; in fact, most of the ones that I know use the
"Sender" header line.

In any event, though -- and to follow up with the lists -- I now have a
sendmail aficionado following up with the guy, so hopefully he'll get his
act together.

One down, 34971 more to go ...

- Vince S.
  wavelet @